Flavoursome Quorn and vegetable filling wrapped in a crunchy shell and topped with sweet and spicy seasoning salt, fresh chives and pickled spring onions.
(Cooking time: 2 hours)
- One packet of Linda McCartney’s vegetarian, vegan sausages (or any vegan sausages)
- One stalk of a spring onion
- One teaspoon of very lazy garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of very lazy ginger
- Two tablespoons of reduced salt soy sauce
- Two tablespoons of vinegar (any)
- One star anise
- One clove
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch
- One teaspoon of sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of golden mountain seasoning sauce (optional)
- One teaspoon of raw cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- Three tablespoons of water
- Four tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- One packet of stir-fried vegetables
- One teaspoon of squeezy mustard
- One tablespoon Marigold Organic Vegan Bouillon powder Reduced Salt
(Spring roll seasoning)
- Spring roll wrappers
- Panko bread crumbs
- Fresh spring onion (thinly diced and chilled in vinegar)
- Fresh chives
- Roasted peanuts
- Sweet chilli sauce (homemade or shop-bought)
- Black and white sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of muscovado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- Asian chilli oil (optional)
- Firstly, prepare your vegan filling, in a chopper blitz spring onions and a packet of stir fry vegetables.
- Then, prepare the vegan mince in a meat chopper, blitz the uncooked vegan sausages.
- Heat a pan with olive oil and add the lazy garlic, star anise and clove, when the garlic has turned a light brown, add the vegan mince and veg. Continuously mix and break apart the vegan mince.
- Add the ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, sesame seed oil, sugar, salt, seasoning sauce, mustard, vegan bouillon powder and water. Let the mixture simmer on medium heat for a couple of minutes till some of the liquid has evaporated.
- Then, add the cornflour and mix immediately. The filling shouldn’t be too wet nor dry. Place it to one side to cool.
- Remove the clove and star anise from the Quorn filling.
- On a flat surface place one spring roll wrapper and add three teaspoons of the filling.
- Gently, fold the wrapper and seal the edges with water and flour. If it’s your first time wrapping a spring roll, be sure to watch this video.
- While you are folding the spring roll wrappers, keep the rest, under a clean wet tea towel, to avoid them from drying out.
- When all the spring rolls are made, heat a frying pan on low heat with 100ml of sunflower oil.
- While the oil is warming up, preheat the oven on low heat to grill settings.
- Then, fry the spring rolls till it’s lightly golden, do not overcook them as we don’t want the spring rolls absorbing too much oil. (However, it is optional to finish the spring rolls in the oven).
- When they are lightly golden, remove them from the oil and onto a flat oven tray. Roll the spring rolls in a couple of tablespoons of panko and some crushed peanuts, grill in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Once they are golden brown use kitchen scissors to diagonally cut them in half.
- Sprinkle some fresh chives, pickled spring onions, black and white sesame seeds, salt, sugar, paprika, Asian chilli oil and a generous drizzle of sweet chilli sauce.
And it is complete!
And they taste amazing with a fresh, healthy salad,
Lots of love x